Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral fibre that has been used in the construction industry over the last few decades, especially given its insulating properties, heat resistance and strength. Furthermore, it has been identified by medical professionals and scientists that asbestos can pose significant health risks to the inhabitants of a particular building while its use has been banned around the world. However, you may also find that an older building contains some type of asbestos. As a consequence, you must understand the various health risks, so that you can protect yourself from the harmful effects of inhaling asbestos fibres which could cause serious health problems in the future.
- Be aware that asbestos fibres can be dangerous if inhaled into the human lungs
- Never touch asbestos but instead call a specialist removal company
- Reduce the risk of secondary exposure
1. Dangerous fibres
One of the most important things to be aware of is that if asbestos-containing materials are disturbed or damaged, then tiny fibres can be released into the atmosphere. These fibres are invisible to the naked eye and can be inhaled or ingested into the human lungs. This can cause long-term health complications, while if you think you have discovered asbestos in your property, then you must contact a company that will be able to provide asbestos removal in Perth.
2. Never touch it
The second most important thing to be aware of about the dangers of asbestos is never to touch it but instead, call a specialist company. Indeed, removing asbestos requires knowledge and the use of specialist equipment meaning you should always contact an asbestos removal company in Western Australia, if you think you may have discovered this dangerous material in your property.
3. Risk of secondary exposure
Finally, if you discover asbestos in an environment in which people work or live, then there may be a risk of secondary asbestos exposure, while an asbestos removal company will have everything required to carry out the removal of asbestos from your property. Moreover, proper contamination measures should be implemented to prevent the transfer of asbestos fibres from place to place, which could potentially expose other people to dangerous fibres.
To summarise, if you think you may have discovered asbestos in your property, then you should never touch it or attempt to remove it by yourself but instead, call on the services of a specialist company providing asbestos removal in the Perth area.